Chasing Cheerios

Monday, May 12, 2008

In Loving Memory of Sophie Socks


Our cat, Sophie Socks, who adopted us 3 and a half weeks ago died today. She showed up on our doorstep 3 and a half weeks ago, and I expected her to go back home at anytime. She decided that we were her family, and she stayed. She was the sweetest, friendliest cat we have ever met. She loved O, and O loved her (although O often did not know how to handle all of the attention Sophie gave her). On Tuesday night Sophie was her typical friendly and fun self. On Wednesday morning she was lethargic and had labored breathing. I called the vet and made an appointment for Friday, but I was fully expecting her to just get better. We gave her water with a dropper Wednesday night because we were afraid that she hadn't been eating. On Thursday, I had to go to work, and my mom was worried enough about Sophie that she decided to go ahead and take her to the vet. It was our 1st experience with the vet in our town, and my mom was not impressed. We brought Sophie to my mom's house on Friday, so her vet (who comes to her house) could see Sophie. Since he doesn' t have an office and therefore no x-ray machine, he couldn't make a definitive diagnosis, but he did give Soph a vitamin shot. On Saturday Soph seemed to feel better. She still had labored breathing and we had to continue feeding her about every hour and a half with a dropper, but she was walking around and seemed to want to be near us. I really thought she was going to get better. My mom took care of Soph while O, Elliott, and I went on our Mother's Day camping trip. We have an appointment for her at a different vet for tomorrow, but mom felt like she needed to take her today. The vet today told her that Soph was really, very sick and since she's such a small cat that she would probably not survive surgery and it would cause her more suffering. She recommended that we put Sophie to sleep. So Sophie Socks is no longer suffering, and we miss her terribly. We are so thankful to my mom for helping us take care of Sophie Socks and for taking her the vet for us. I am devastated by her loss, and I can't stop crying. We had such plans for this wonderful, sweet cat. O loved playing with her in the yard, and Soph even rode in the pedal boat briefly with us. Elliott and I were looking forward to taking her out in the ski boat in a couple of weeks, so she could be our boat cat. O incorporated her into our family, and whenever she talks about "mama, dada, O, Grace," she always includes "Socks." O even tried to write our names in the sand at the beach this morning. She wrote "mama, dada, O, Grace, Socks." We are so thankful that Sophie Socks came into our lives even though we didn't get to have her long enough. We'll miss her for a while and remember her forever.

8 comments:

  1. :( I'm so sorry you lost your kitty. It really is amazing how quickly pets become a part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh our stray cat that adopted us 1 weeek ago today lola chase had to be put down today cuz she was in the last stages of feline leukemia! i feel your pain sorry you have to be going thru it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so, so sorry melissa. It sounds like sophie socks was truly loved. Poor little O.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry. :( She looks like my old sweet kitty (now gone) Toonces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear about Sophie. At least she isn't suffering, and it sounds like her last few weeks were wonderful with so much love from your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry. I know how difficult it is to lose a pet, even one so young. Hugs! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, ladies. I appreciate your thoughts and words. O has been asking to "see Socks," which has been really heartbreaking :( I appreciate your kind words.

    ReplyDelete