Chasing Cheerios

Sunday, December 19, 2010

A Book Writing Center for O

While on the way home from school a few weeks ago, O was THRILLED to tell me that she is now working in the writing center.  She loves to write, so she has been anxiously awaiting her chance to work in this area of the classroom.  After hearing how excited she was to be writing, I decided to make a book writing center for her for one of her handmade Christmas gifts.   Here's what I came up with...

I bought this wooden suitcase from Hobby Lobby (I originally planned to put paper dolls in it, but hopefully I'll find another one for that purpose).  It was 50% off, so I only paid 5 dollars for it.  I cut an O from scrapbook paper and decoupaged it onto the suitcase.



I bought a bunch of these plastic pencil cases from WM when they were 25 cents each.  I put velcro on the back of it and on the inside of the suitcase to hold it up.  I filled the pencil case with stickers, mechanical pencils (O has never seen mechanical pencils, so they will be exciting for her), blank labels to use for the titles of her books, erasers, etc



Here's a picture showing the velcro on the pencil case and the suitcase.



I put a packet of lined paper in the suitcase.  O's a little young for this paper, but I know she'll be excited about it and will have fun trying it out.



She's also going to love these glittery numbers and letter stickers.



I made a bunch of scrapbook and computer paper books to add to the suitcase.  I think this will be her favorite part of the gift.  To make the books, I just cut the paper to the size I wanted, folded it in half, and then cut the computer paper to fit in it.  I planned to staple the books, but that wouldn't work.  My mom came to the rescue and sewed the pages together on the sewing machine (while I worked on a gift for E).  I tied the strings at the each end of the book, so that the binding wouldn't unravel.  Once I started making books, I couldn't stop, so I'll be able to replenish her supply often :)



These super cute erasers are a last minute addition to this kit (Thanks to Grandaddy Harry who discreetly purchased them at the Cracker Barrel and slipped them to me when O wasn't looking!).

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe how creative you are. What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The books with computer paper and scrapbook paper! OMG!! My daughter has been drawing/writing little stories and 'comics' lately--I have to figure out how to do this even without a sewing machine! (Any suggestions for how to do it without a sewing machine?) Your gifts are not only creative and appropriate, but eco, too :-))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I want to make some. What is the paper you used for covers? Is that scrapbook paper?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yokohamamama, I hand sew books together for my children. It only takes a minute.
    I love this idea, I make variations of it for birthday presents for my O's friends. Thet are all turning six this year and still love to have a special writing centre. I've used wicker baskets, toolboxes and pretty boxes from paper chase. Post-it notes and shopping list notebooks are good too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous idea! I have a little guy who just loves to "write" books and I'm going to make some of these for him. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful idea! I think I will store this in my memory bank for my son's back to school gift next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea - I'm going to make one for my daughter also. Just an idea - maybe you want to add some envelopes as well - my daughter is crazy about envelopes and making pretend letters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I had a wood suitcase like this when I was a kid that I stored artwork in, but I love the idea of stories writing supplies in it and the velcro pouch is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful gift idea! A great way to be supportive and encourage your child to write. Mmm perhaps she will have a blog of her own someday :D

    ReplyDelete